April 4, 2020
This is a little heavier of a topic for a devotion but based on my experience this week a necessary topic to cover. The devotion is based on Psalm 55 and Psalm 23.- Encouragement and help for dealing with domestic violence during times of sheltering in place. ***trigger warning: abuse, domestic violence
Tips for safety while sheltering in place
***Top priority is the safety of you and your children.
1) Call local women’s center or The National Domestic Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or visit www.thehotline.org
2. Develop a personalized safety plan that includes how to leave safely with exits. Also compile a list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of trusted individuals.
3. Pack an emergency bag with some essentials like a change of clothes, toiletries, and medications in a small bag (for example, a grocery bag) and keep it hidden. If you can, buy a prepaid phone, keep cash on hand, stow an extra set of keys and important documents like birth certificates and social security cards.
4. Tell a trusted person, even if it is only one person and develop a safe word you can text or call to let them know if you are in danger.
5. Assume everything is monitored, phone calls, conversations, and web searches. Protect and change passwords if possible
6. Create as much distance as possible. Stay in separate rooms whenever you can.
7. Remain calm. Desesclate situation- 1st this assumes you are in control of the situation which you are not, an explosion can happen no matter how perfectly you try to respond, but staying calm and using an even tone can help.
8. Practice self-care. Take a shower, eat nurturing meals, hydrate, get adequate sleep, and move your body. Do things that lift your spirit or you simply enjoy.
9. Give yourself positive affirmations and positive self-talk.
10. Trust your intuition. You know your partner best. If you do not feel safe, seek help.
Remember you are not alone. There is hope. There is help. You deserve love, respect, safety, and trust from a partner. You do not deserve abuse. Ever.
4/4/2020 11:31:38 pm
Hard subject but very important! Thank you the message.
laci marie basel
4/9/2020 02:04:17 am
i've never heard you speak...you are so sincere...and such wonderful ideas...you speak from your heart heather...love you...laci m
4/5/2020 01:25:59 pm
Valuable information. Thank you.
Comments are closed.